We provide individualized guidance and support to families, including siblings and parents, who have family members with disabilities.
Accessing resources for those with disabilities
Conferences and workshops
- Our conferences and workshops provide parents with vital information, and a wonderful chance to network with parents of other special needs children. Some of the workshops that we have previously conducted include behavior management, navigating the school system, preparing to access employment, social skills training, and travel training. For more information on upcoming events, see our calendar of events.
Annual Family Shabbaton
- Our much anticipated annual Family Shabbaton is a yearly highlight. This end-of-year retreat takes place in a hotel in the Catskill Mountains, where parents, siblings, and individuals with developmental disabilities alike join for a weekend of fun, games, learning, sharing and togetherness. Parents attend sessions which provide up-to-date information, problem solving strategies, and the opportunity to share experiences. Siblings enjoy workshops unique to their needs, while participants with developmental disabilities have sessions, games, and activities of their own. Mealtimes are special, with singing, “talks” by the Yachad members, and families basking in the glow of their children’s pleasure and success.
- We provide support to siblings (whose brothers and/or sisters have disabilities) individually and through workshops and sessions which facilitate networking between siblings.
Yachad/NJCD is also proud to provide:
- Family-centered programming year-round
- Family retreats/Shabbatons
- Individual, marital, and family counseling
- Parent support groups
- Fathers’ resource groups
- Services for mothers
- Single parent programming
- Groups and resources for widowed persons
- Sibling resources, support groups, mentoring, and retreats.
- Educational consults
- Service coordination, advocacy, case management services so that you do not have to do it all on your own.
For more information on any of these resources, please contact Deborah Berman, LCSW, Director of Intern/Extern Program, 212-613-8172, or firstname.lastname@example.org.