Yachad/NJCD provides individuals with developmental disabilities an opportunity to socialize and to be included within the Jewish community.New Jersey Yachad offers social and recreational program for children and young adults with special needs on a monthly basis. NJ Yachad is proud to offer many ongoing support groups for parents and siblings who have a loved one with special needs.Our support groups include:
- Relax & Renew (Women Only)
- Father to Father (Men Only)
- Support Group for mothers of children ages 0-5
- Adult Sibling Support Group (ages 20+)
- Raising a child with special needs can be a difficult journey and an overwhelming experience. This group offers support to mothers of children ages 0-5 who are looking to meet other families facing similar challenges and be able to express their thoughts and feelings in a warm and safe environment. Topics may include stressors in family life, advocacy, early intervention, looking for a school placement, sibling issues, and inclusion. This group meets twice a month and there is no cost to join but advance registration is required.
Relax & Renew, a Support Group for Mothers of Special Needs Children (all ages)
- Yachad in Partnership with Nesheemah Yoga Center offer this unique program that combines relaxation and calming techniques led by Nesheemah Director Nancy Siegel followed by a support group with Chani Herrmann, Director of NJ Yachad. Mothers with children of all ages, include adult children, participate in this program and support each other through their various experiences. Topics may include stressors in family life, school-related issues, advocacy, the importance of making time for you, future planning, transition and overall experience of being a parent of a special needs child. This group meets on Wednesday mornings and costs $160 for a 10 week series.
Father to Father, a Support group for fathers of children with special needs
- Being a parent of a special needs child can be an overwhelming experience. It can also create additional stress, both emotionally and financially, and affects the entire family. This group offers a unique opportunity for fathers to meet with one another and build a support network to help them through each stage of the journey. This group meets once a month and is free of charge. Advance registration is required.
Am I My Brother’s Keeper? a Support Group for Adult Siblings ages 20+
- Having a sibling with special needs can present adult siblings with unique challenges. This group is designed to connect adult siblings with one another 4 times a year and encourage ongoing communication throughout the year. This group is for siblings ages 20+. Spouses are welcome and encouraged to attend. Schedule of events is given at time of registration.
Cultural Arts Program for Junior Yachad Members
- NJ Yachad & Kol Kehilaseinu bring Yachad’s Cultural Arts Program (CAP) to New Jersey. The program takes place one Sunday afternoon each month. Choices for the program include sports, art, dance, yoga, drama, singing, and learning about Jewish holidays and customs. CAP gives the Yachad members an opportunity to interact with staff, junior-high and high school volunteers, and each other.
- for schedule and registration forms. To read more about the CAP program,
For more information on any of these programs, or to register, please contact Chani Herrmann, Director of NJ Yachad, at 201-833-1349 or email@example.com. For upcoming dates of these programs, please see our events page.